Mens PREMIER FC DIV 1 Final v Donaghmore/Ashbourne

Posted on: Monday, October 10th 2022 by Ultan Blake


Donaghmore/Ashbourne 3-6
Dunshaughlin 0-11
Despite only scoring nine times versus their opponents 11, Donaghmore/Ashbourne’s three goals were decisive in condemning Dunshaughlin to a second Premier Division 1 final defeat in a row at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday.
A brace of majors before the interval from Sean Tyrell and David Donnelly and a third from Luke Wilson from the penalty spot towards the latter stages propelled the youthful Moore’s to success.
Having up to three players called upon for first team duties later in the day was detrimental to Dunshaughlin’s chances despite a much improved second-half performance.
Conor Jennings who was eligible to play ironically ended up coming off the bench for the Intermediate side later in the day and scored the winning goal. In stark contrast, Tom O’Connor’s team included a plethora of last year’s MFC runners up who proved to be the backbone of what was a strong team performance.
Early fisted points for Donaghmore/Ashbourne from Danny Deery and Killian Hogan sandwiched a fine brace of Tommy Kinsella efforts and had the sides level after eight minutes.
Kinsella’s first team pedigree was evident in the early stages with his guile and cutting-edge causing problems. Another player in the Dunshaughlin ranks with similar credentials was Fergus Toolan who sliced a textbook outside of the right shot over to give Dunshaughlin the advantage for the first, and what turned out to be the last time.
Back-to-back points for the Moore’s from Cian Field from distance and an advanced mark from David Donnelly had the men in green briefly ahead prior to substitute Cathal McCormack marking his arrival in style with a levelling score.
The crucial purple patch that yielded 2-1 for Donaghmore/Ashbourne before the break put clear daylight between the teams with Sean Tyrell palming over Mark Galvin’s pass following nice interplay by Donnelly and Sam Benville.
Donnelly rose to prominence when he rather fortuitously found the net from an acute angle, wrongfooting Galvin with what looked like a pointed effort that dropped into the net via the post.
Deep into first-half stoppage time Donnelly fired over following neat linkup play with Tyrell to extend the margin to 2-5 to 0-4 at half time.
Paul Sheehy introduced Sean O’Neill for the second half and his arrival signaled the start of Dunshaughlin’s comeback as they reeled off five successive scores at the start of the second-half.
O’Neill contributed a couple including a terrific 45. Kinsella, Toolan and McCormack (free) were also on target in that spell with the margin reduced to a manageable two points.
Donaghmore/Ashbourne struggled to penetrate with the luckless Tyrell denied by the butt of the post following an enterprising run.
They did eventually muster their first score of the second-half, 23 minutes after the break, but it was a crucial one in reasserting themselves.
Simon Wilson was fouled by James Traynor as he struck for goal with referee Robert Purfield having no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Simon’s brother Luke stepped up and emphatically dispatched to break Dunshaughlin’s resistance.
The impressive Toolan did raise another white flag for the men in black and amber with a long-range score, but this was cancelled out by Simon Wilson who lofted over to open up the five-point gap with time ebbing away.
Adam Hanley did tag on a consolation score in injury-time, but it turned out to be academic as Donaghmore/Ashbourne held on for a deserved victory.
Donaghmore/Ashbourne – David Donnelly 1-2 one mark; Sean Tyrell 1-0; Luke Wilson 1-0 penalty; Danny Deery 0-1; Killian Hogan 0-1; Cian Field 0-1; Simon Wilson 0-1.
Dunshaughlin – Tommy Kinsella 0-3; Fergus Toolan 0-3; Cathal McCormack 0-2 one free; Sean O’Neill 0-2 one ’45’; Adam Hanley 0-1.
Donaghmore/Ashbourne – Eoin Ryan; Aaron McLoughlin, Rodney Jones, Scott Ward; Alan Murtagh, Jack McCarney, Thomas Cooney; Joe Magee, Killian Hogan; Cian Field, Danny Deery, Darragh Gleeson; David Donnelly, Sam Benville, Sean Tyrell. Subs – Sean Noone for Magee half-time, Luke Wilson for Deery, Shane Rae for Jones both 36m, Simon Wilson for Donnelly 42m, Cillian Hegarty for McCarney 56m.
Dunshaughlin – Mark Galvin; James Traynor, Eoin O’Connor, Aiden Fraher; Odhran O’Riordan, Paul Briody, Shane Gallogly; Colm Keane, Mark Leddy; Mark Devaney, Fergus Toolan, Conor Mooney; Bill Jennings, Tommy Kinsella, Adam Hanley. Subs – Cathal McCormack for Gallogly 19m, Sean O’Neill for Mark Leddy, Wes Goodwin for Keane both 42m, Daragh Byrne for James Traynor 56m, Jack Hetherington for McCormack 61m.
Referee – Robert Purfield (St Patrick’s).