Mens Intermediate V Blackhall Gaels

Posted on: Monday, August 29th 2022 by Ultan Blake

Match Report: Intermediate Championship

Dunshaughlin 1-16 Blackhall Gaels 0-1

This local derby did not live up to its pre-match hype and the story of this game is how the Dunshaughlin defence limited Blackhall Gaels to one point over the hour. In a showery Moynalvey on Saturday evening there were very few talking points in a one-sided encounter. The only bit of controversy was a disallowed Dunshaughlin goal in the 23rd minute from Aaron Murphy, although Murphy scored from a rebounded save, referee Cormac Reilly and his umpires were in no doubt that Murphy was in the square before the ball. A lot has been spoken previously about the youthful Dunshaughlin forward unit but in this game, it was the older generation in the backs that were the Dunshaughlin heroes.

To avoid confusion (hooped jerseys) Dunshaughlin lined out in their away (red) jerseys. Blackhall played with the wind behind them in the first half and trailed 1-7 to 0-1 at half time and even at that stage it looked like their goose was cooked. From the first attack of the game Dunshaughlin earned a free which Mathew Costello dispatched to give Dunshaughlin the lead after 40 seconds. Dunshaughlin lost their influential midfielder Ben Duggan through injury in the 7th minute, all in the club wish Ben a speedy recovery. Duggan was replaced by Ciaran McCarrick.

Costello scored his 2nd pointed free in the 10th minute, which was followed by a Ruairi Kinsella point in the 12th minute. Blackhall scored their first and only point in the 20th minute from Dermot Carty. Dunshaughlin’s goal came in the 24th minute finished low by half back Adam Kealy who had sneaked in behind the defence and found himself in front of the goals one on one with the keeper, this was after quick accurate handpasses in succession from Matthew Moyles and Aaron Murphy in a congested defence. In the lead up to half time Dunshaughlin tagged on three more points from Kinsella (24th), Aaron Murphy (27th) and a Luke Mitchell free (33rd).

With the wind behind them in the 2nd half Dunshaughlin continued to dominate and although Blackhall did battle, they were no match for Dunshaughlin. Dunshaughlin got further points in the 2nd half from Costello (f) 34th, Mitchell (f) 35th, 45th, 48th (f) & 55th (f), A Murphy 39th 44th & 50th & Conor Gray in the 41st minute scoring his first point in adult championship football for Dunshaughlin.

Dunshaughlin go into their last game on Saturday September 3rd in Dunsany at 6pm against Bective knowing a draw would be enough to secure top spot in the group.

Dunshaughlin: Adam McDermott, Daniel Quinn, Alastar Doyle, Niall Byrne, Adam Kealy, Niall Murphy, Charlie O’Connor, Ben Duggan, Conor Gray, John McDonagh, Mathew Moyles, Ruairi Kinsella,  Aaron Murphy, Mathew Costello, Luke Mitchell. Subs:  Ciaran McCarrick for Duggan (7th), Conor Duke for Moyles (47th), Oisin Foley for Adam Kealy (52nd) & Fursey Blake for Mathew Costello (59th)


Dunshaughlin scorers: 1-16  Luke Mitchell 0-5 (4f), Aaron Murphy 0-4, Mathew Costello 0-3 (3f), Adam Kealy 1-0, Ruairi Kinsella 0-2, John McDonagh 0-1,  Conor Gray 0-1.

Blackhall Gaels scorers:  0-1  Dermot Carty 0-1,