Men’s A FL Division 2B V Ashbourne Round 7

Posted on: Thursday, June 23rd 2022 by Ultan Blake

A FL Division 2B Round 7

Donaghmore/Ashbourne 2-2

Dunshaughlin 1-5

While the stakes were high in Ashbourne on Tuesday night, the same can’t be said for the fare. After trailing for most of the hour, the away team kept going until the end and were rewarded with what looked to be an unlikely draw.

A very scrappy first half was punctuated by an excellent end to end move for Ashbourne, resulting in a goal. A couple of frees from Sean O’ Neill and a half blocked goal-bound effort ending in a point for Colm Keane was about as good as it got for the Black and Ambers. Dunshaughlin nearly nicked a goal via youngster, Adam Hanley, just before half-time after an intercepted goal-kick but the effort scraped the wrong side of the post leaving it 1-1 to 0-3

With the aid of the breeze in the second period Dunshaughlin dominated possession but failed to make much headway against a spirited and youthful defence. Another free was followed up with a foray up field by Josh Wall, ending in a point to add to his goal in a previous round. Despite this dominance, Ashbourne stayed in touch with a well taken point and another timely goal to put a bit of daylight between the teams. Credit must go to the away team as everyone fought on bravely in an effort to get back into the game despite challenging conditions.

Eric Casserly, Darragh Byrne and Colm Keane kept showing and working hard in the middle third while the fullback line of Eoin O’ Connor, Marc Leddy and, the self-appointed captain for the night, Ódhran O’ Riordan was outstanding at times. Shane Gallogly continued to probe and looked to get countless attacks moving throughout the hour. As the second half neared an end it was Conor Jennings who climbed highest after a speculative high ball in from Mark Devanney to send the ball to the back of the net. After a quick consultation with the umpire, referee, Liam Reddy, confirmed the goal. The other Jennings, David, at the other end was comfortable under the high ball all night while Donagh McCarrick and Aidan Fraher ran themselves to a standstill. Alex Arkins remained his usual busy self while Ger Geoghegan returned successfully following injury and worked tirelessly in the first half. Both teams had possession in the final minutes but failed to trouble the scoreboard operator and so the final game in Division 2b ended in stalemate. Jack Hetherington, David Dunne and Paul Briody deptutised ably when called upon and kept the energy up during the second half, when all appeared lost.  Fortunately with score difference in favour of Dunshaughlin it is they who proceed to a league final. Ashbourne had a great campaign and were unfortunate not to get more from the game.

Dunshaughlin: D. Jennings, Ó. O’ Riordan, M. Leddy, E. O’ Connor, D. McCarrick, J. Wall, A. Fraher, C. Keane, S. O’ Neill, S. Gallogly, D. Byrne, A. Arkins, E. Casserly, G. Geoghegan, A. Hanley

Subs: L. McCarthy, M. Devanney, B. Clinton, C. Keena, J. Hetherington, P. Briody, C. Mooney, C. Jennings, D. Dunne